Information about cookies

We use cookies so that we can provide you with a better online experience. By clicking "accept" without changing the settings for the cookies you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For further information please refer to our cookie policy.

Header Image
1906-1909
1906

Founding

Klöckner & Co is established on Mercatorstrasse in Duisburg.

1908

New Premises

The young business Klöckner & Co moves to new premises on Friedhofsweg in the Neudorf section of Duisburg. Later, the street name is changed from Friedhofsweg to Otto-Keller-Strasse.

1901-1920
1911

Branchoffice at Mannheim

Branch office is set up in Mannheim, in the State of Baden-Württemberg. The new location is the Company's first in southwest Germany.

1914

Klöckner & co growing

Meanwhile, Klöckner & Co has established seven subsidiaries

1919

More scrap trade business

Through its investment stake in the Company Wilhelm Alt Nachf. in Hamburg, which is renamed Eckardt 526 Co in 1928, Klöckner & Co expands its scrap trade business segment.

1921-1940
1920

New chemical department

Klöckner & Co establishes its own Chemicals Division, which initially serves only as a centralized purchasing department for chemical products required for mining. Later, this develops into a division that sells chemicals manufactured by Klöckner’s own plants and associated companies.

1921

Founding of the shipping and coal trading Company Reederei und Kohlenhandlung GmbH

The shipping and coal trading Company Reederei und Kohlenhandlung GmbH (KRK) is established.
At the same time, the cornerstone is laid for today's Klöckner & Co The seven subsidiaries operate in the solid fuels, transportation and building materials business segments.
After World War I, the Company moves its headquarters to Mülheimer Strasse 54. This address will remain Klöckner & Co’s corporate headquarters for over 50 years

1922

Establishment of own inland shipping fleet

Klöckner Reederei und Kohlehandel GmbH (KRK) begins to create its own inland shipping fleet. For over 50 years, the green-and-white Company flag will fly initially on all German and, later on, increasingly on European overseas routes as well.

1923

Founding of a new mining-industry Company

The Company Klöckner-Dünge-Handel GmbH (Klöckner Fertilizer Trading Co) is established in Berlin. The companies Eisen- und Stahlwerk Haspe, Mannstaedt Werke, Düsseldorfer Eisen- und Drahtindustrie, Georgsmarien-Bergwerks -und Hüttenverein and Eisen- und Stahlwerk Osnabrück merge to form a new mining-industry Company operating under the name Klöckner-Werke AG. 

1926

Record coal exports

Profiting from the English miners' strike, the Company Klöckner Reederei und Kohlenhandlung GmbH (KRK) reports record coal exports of 1.3 million tons.

1927

Establishment of Stickstoff Gewerkschaft Victor

With the establishment of Stickstoff Gewerkschaft Victor (Victor Nitrogen Trade Union) in Castrop-Rauxel, Klöckner & Co entered the synthetic nitrogen fertilizer manufacturing business.

1930-1939
1936

Founding of Klöckner Family Foundation

Following the death of Peter Klöckner’s only son, Waldemar Peter Klöckner, the Peter Klöckner Family Foundation established in 1931 is designated as the heir to the Klöckner Group.

1937

Dr. Günter Henle becomes shareholder

Peter Klöckner brings his son-in-law, Dr. Günter Henle, into the Company as a partner. Dr. Henle will not retire as General Partner until 1976 – after nearly 40 years with Klöckner & Co.

1938

Accusition of Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz AG

A delegation of leading German businessmen headed by Peter Klöckner is invited to Moscow. The volume of what back then was called the "Russian business" amounted to 2 billion Reichsmarks. 

Klöckner & Co takes over the oil business of Deutzer Oel-Gesellschaft from what later will become Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz AG and Mineralölwerke Albrecht & Co, of Hamburg (today’s Deutsche Shell AG). The engine manufacturing and plant construction group becomes Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz AG.

1939

"Big Five" in coal mining/trading

The shipping and coal trading Company Klöckner Reederei und Kohlenhandlung GmbH (KRK) is now supplying customers in 38 countries. Coal exports exceed 1.5 million tons and domestic sales exceed 1 million tons. KRK thereby becomes one of the "Big Five" coal mining/trading companies.

1940-1949
1940

Peter Klöckner dies by the age of 76 years

The Group’s founder, Peter Klöckner, dies in Duisburg on October 5, 1940, at the age of 76. Until 1937, he was the sole shareholder and General Partner of Klöckner & Co.

1943

Emergency operations after taking a bombing raid

World War II does not spare the Klöckner headquarters: after a heavy bombing raid, only emergency operations can be sustained there.

1948

Klöckner & Co recovers from World War II

Klöckner & Co once again has a well-diversified product range which can now be sold for hard currency – the new Deutsche Mark. In addition, the establishment of the Federal Republic of Germany in 1949 creates a stable political and legal environment. The trend is typified by the scrap segment: until 1948, the division only traded relatively small quantities; shortly after the currency reform, it exceeds the 10,000-ton mark.

1950-1959
1950

Entering the heating-oil trade

Klöckner & Co enters the heating-oil trade, thereby becoming one of the first German Companies to start marketing and selling the new fuel. Eight years later, the company Klöckner Heizölhandel GmbH (Klöckner Heating-Oil Trading Co.)is established.

1951

Officetowers on Mülheimer Straße

The ruins of the old Klöckner headquarters on Mülheimer Strasse are replaced by a modern, seven-story office tower. The City of Duisburg even uses the new “tower” in promotional ads for the city.

1952

Scrap iron/Scrap metal segment leading in Europe

When the Allies ended scrap controls, thanks to a comprehensive network of warehouses and modern processing plants, the scrap iron/scrap metal segment develops into one of the biggest scrap operations in Europe.

By acquiring the Company Kölner Reederei GmbH, the Group expands its shipping operations beyond the River Rhine and canal shipping to include maritime shipping as well.

1956

Renaming of Industrieanlagen GmbH

The former Industrieanlagen GmbH (Industrial Plants Co.) is renamed Klöckner Industrie-Anlagen GmbH and quickly becomes a successful multinational Company engaged in the marketing and sale of turn-key industrial plants.

1957

Group transportation taken over by new company

The Company Stute Verkehrs-GmbH is established. The new Company takes over the management of all Group transportation activities.

1960-1969
1964

First Annual Report

Klöckner & Co publishes its first annual report. In the same year, the trading Company begins setting up select foreign subsidiaries

1970-1979
1970

Formation of Klöckner & Co as a company

With the foreign division’s conversion to a product-management system, this business segment develops into an international steel trading company.

The structure of the Klöckner & Co Group is streamlined based on the options stipulated in the Reorganization Act (Umwandlungsgesetz): the total number of subsidiaries is reduced to 30.

1972

Namechange and product line expansion

The Company name Klöckner Eisenhandel (Klöckner Iron Trading), a name with a long tradition, is changed to Klöckner Stahlhandel (Klöckner Steel Trading). At the same time, the product line is expanded to include high-grade structural steel, bright steel and stainless steel.

1976

Dr. Dr. h.c. Günter Henle reitres

Dr. Dr. h.c. Günter Henle retires from the Company after 40 years as Senior Partner. His responsibilities are assumed by his sons, Jörg Alexander and Christian-Peter Henle.

1977

Reorganization of corporate management functions

Corporate management functions are reorganized, with the Group concentrating on the five corporate management units - Steel, the Central Office for International Business, Raw Materials/Transportation, Building Materials/Fuels/Chemicals and the Engineering and Industrial Plants segment.

1980-1989
1981

Econemy after 75 years

Seventy-five years after it was established, Klöckner & Co is one of Germany’s major trading and service companies. It has approximately 10,000 employees. The Company is represented in 80 countries around the world by 200 agents, representative offices and wholly owned subsidiaries.

1988

Risky speculations and it's consequences

The “International Crude Oil and Oil Products Trading” Department runs up losses of between 600 and 700 million Deutsche Marks through risky speculation in crude-oil futures contracts.

Deutsche Bank AG becomes the sole shareholder of Klöckner & Co. The Company is converted into an Aktiengesellschaft (public limited corporation/joint-stock company). Christian-Peter Henle retires from the Company’s management team.

1989

VIAG-Gruppe becomes shareholder

The VIAG Group acquires Klöckner & Co from Deutsche Bank, thereby becoming the Company’s new shareholder.

1990-1999
1991-96

Klöckner & Co gets new structure

Klöckner & Co develops into a global trading Company. The new areas of focus are steel trading, PC components, PC products, chemicals, energy and textiles. Various investments and disposals are undertaken in order to realign the Company. 

Among other transactions, it acquires Computer 2000 (in 1995) and the Röder Group (in 1994).

1997

Focus on core business

Klöckner & Co focuses on its core business of multi metal trading. In pursuit of this goal, it acquires additional companies: the Swiss market leader, Debrunner Koenig Holding-Gruppe, the Austrian Company Ettinger Stahlhandel Ges.m.b.H., the Dutch Company ODS B.V. and the French Company Arus (now Klöckner Distribution Industrielle). In addition, it acquires the Spanish Company Grupo Comercial de Laminados S.A., shuts down its energy and chemical trading operations and deconsolidates its textile investments.

1998

Dispose of stake in Computer-2000 and Röder-Gruppe

Decision is made to dispose of stake in Computer-2000 and the Röder Group as part of the strategic focus.

2000-2009
1999/2000

Finalization of company transfer

Klöckner & Co concludes focus on core business in accordance with corporate law: all materials businesses are transferred to a new Company, which once again will operate under the name Klöckner & Co.

2000

Business in Great Britain

Klöckner & Co acquires the British Company Richardsons Westgarth and becomes the biggest independent steel trader (not affiliated with any steel mill) in the British Isles.

In addition, the subsidiary Klöckner Steel Trade GmbH is sold to England’s Balli Group. This marked the end of Klöckner & Co’s direct-to-customer, warehouse-independent trading.

2001

Klöckner & Co accuired by Balli Group

E.ON AG – which was created by the merger between Viag and Veba – sells Klöckner & Co to the Balli Group, of London.

2003

Klöckners new major shareholder

In May 2003, WestLB AG becomes Klöckner & Co’s majority shareholder. Another shareholder is HSH Nordbank AG.

2003

New Chairman of the Management Board: Dr. Thomas Ludwig

Dr. Thomas Ludwig is appointed as Chairman of the Management Board of Klöckner & Co AG. He has operating responsibility for the Group’s North American businesses and functional responsibility for Human Resources, Corporate Communications, Legal Affairs/Compliance, Internal Auditing and Risk Management.

2005

WestLB AG sells Klöckner & Co

WestLB AG sells Klöckner & Co to the American private-equity firm Lindsay, Goldberg & Bessemer (LGB).

2005

New Chief Financial Officer: Gisbert Rühl

Gisbert Rühl joins Klöckner & Co AG as Chief Financial Officer. He is responsible for Accounting, Controlling/M&A, Corporate IT, Finance, Investor Relations, Corporate Taxes and Insurance.

2006

Klöckner & Co goes public

Klöckner & Co goes public on June 28, 2006.

On September 6, 2006, the Group is listed in the German Stock Exchange’s (Deutsche Börse) SDAX index.

2007

Admission to the MDAX

Admission to the MDAX on the Deutsche Börse is finalized on January 29, 2007.

In April the American private-equity firm Lindsay, Goldberg & Bessemer sells its last holdings in Klöckner. Since then free float is 100%.

On July 27, 2007, Klöckner & Co issues EUR 325 million of convertible bonds to further optimize the Group’s financing structure.

2008

New challenges during the global finance crisis

On August 8, 2008, Klöckner & Co AG is converted into a European Company (SE = Societas Europaea).

In October 2008, in response to the deepening financial crisis, Klöckner & Co initiated a program of urgent measures called "Wave 1":

The program of urgent measures includes the temporary suspension of acquisitions, cost-cutting, debt reduction and working capital as security for Group financing.

2009

Further Measures

In March 2009, "Wave 2" of the program of urgent measures is introduced. The cost-oriented program builds on "Wave 1" of the program of urgent measures, which was instituted in October 2008.

On June 9, 2009, the Company issues EUR 97.9 million of five-year convertible bonds. Klöckner & Co plans to use the proceeds for general business purposes and later for pursuing its proposed external growth strategy.

In September, Klöckner & Co carries out a capital increase of 20 million registered shares with gross proceeds of EUR 200 million.

With the funds raised by the capital increase, Klöckner & Co plans, among other things, to pursue the industry-consolidation strategy it has followed since its IPO in 2006.

2009

New CEO and a preliminary agreement

Effective November 1, 2009 Gisbert Rühl takes over from Dr. Thomas Ludwig as Chairman of the Management Board of Klöckner & Co SE. In addition to his role as Chairman of the Management Board (CEO), Rühl will also serve as Chief Financial Officer (CFO). 

Only ten days after Gisbert Rühl became CEO, Klöckner & Co signed a preliminary agreement to acquire the Becker Stahl-Service Group.

2010-today
2011

Acquisition of Macsteel Service Centers USA

The next acquisition followed at the beginning of 2011. On April 29, 2011 Klöckner & Co took over Macsteel – one of the leading flat steel service center companies in the USA – thereby completing the biggest acquisition in the Company’s recent history. Macsteel operates in the significantly more stable, higher value-added steel service center segment; moreover, it serves less volatile and more value added customer sectors. Thanks to the Macsteel acquisition, Klöckner & Co now has a top-3 position in the USA, as it does in all the European markets in which it operates.

2011

Entry into emerging markets

Another goal elucidated in the “Klöckner & Co 2020” strategy – that of entering emerging markets – has also been accomplished with the May 6, 2011 takeover of Frefer, Brazil’s third-largest independent steel and metal distributor.

2011

Successful placement of capital increase

In June 2011, Klöckner & Co carried out a capital increase in order to ensure its ability to take advantage of future growth opportunities while maintaining a solid financial and balance sheet. The Group issued 33,250,000 new non-par-value shares, which yielded net proceeds of approximately €516 million that will be used primarily to continue pursuing the “Klöckner & Co 2020” growth strategy.

2011

New Member of the Board for Americas

Effective October 1, William A. Partalis, former CEO of Namasco and CEO of Klöckner USA Holding, has been appointed to the Management Board of the Klöckner & Co SE. He represents the Americas' segment on the Board. In addition, he is still responsible for managing the American business operations.

2013

Opening of a new service center in the US

After about a year of construction Kloeckner Metals Corporation, a subsidiary of international steel and metal distributor Klöckner & Co, opened a new light gauge flat rolled processing center on the plant site of ThyssenKrupp Steel USA in Calvert, Alabama (USA). With the new service center the company wants to strengthen its traditional value-added flat-rolled business, continue to drive the expansion into the attractive automotive processing business and moreover realize toll-processing for the adjacent steel mill.

2014

Acquisition in Switzerland

In spring 2014 Klöckner & Co has purchased a 75% stake in the Swiss reinforcing steel specialist Riedo Bau + Stahl AG via its Swiss country organization Debrunner Koenig Holding AG. Since then Riedo has become wholly owned. The acquisition of Riedo strengthens Klöckner & Co's leading market position in the attractive Swiss market for reinforcing steel.

2015

Pioneering Digitization- Formation of kloeckner.i in Berlin

Klöckner‘s objective is to fully digitize the supply and service chain. We are thus in the process of revolutionizing the unprofitable business models currently used in the steel trade. kloeckner.i bundles all digitization-oriented projects and initiatives at the core of the startup scene in Berlin. kloeckner.i controls the development and international implementation of all digital solutions and uses Silicon Valley concepts such as “Design Thinking” and “Lean Startup”.

2015

Launch of online business with craftsmen and private customers

Klöckner & Co used a collaboration with online specialist dealer Contorion to move into the attractive online business with craftsmen and private customers in Germany. Different Klöckner products such as sheets, tubes and profiles are available at www.contorion.de/kloeckner with no minimum order value. To make sure all products are delivered tailor-made for craftsmen’s and private customer’s needs, a special processing and shipment infrastructure was built at Klöckner’s location in Frechen/Germany.

2015

Acquisition of US sheet metal fabrication company American Fabricators

Through its US country organization Kloeckner Metals Corporation, Klöckner & Co has acquired the US sheet metal fabrication company American Fabricators based in Nashville, Tennessee/USA. American Fabricators specializes in the professional fabrication of sheets into complex parts for customers from a wide range of different industries. The company operates state-of-the-art machinery on production facilities spanning some 10,000 square meters. With around 150 employees the highly profitable enterprise generates annual sales of around USD 30 million.

2016

Important milestone towards launch of Industry Platform

At the beginning of March the new Klöckner web shop went online. Developed using a radically customer-centric design thinking approach, the solution sets new industry standards in terms of user-friendliness and convenience in buying steel online. The webshop as well as other digital tools have been already integrated into the likewise new Klöckner service platform. This platform works as a central access point for all customers and is therefore an important milestone towards the launch of the envisaged Industry Platform in 2017.

2016

Listing

Due to a ruling of the index commission of the Deutsche  Börse, Klöckner & Co shares left the MDAX index with effect from March 21, 2016 and are since then listed in the SDAX.

2016

NEW PROGRAM "ONE EUROPE"

In June, Klöckner & Co launched a new program called "One Europe" to further optimize its European distribution business. The program not only aims to cut costs and facilitate synergies, but also to ensure faster, more efficient implementation of the digital transformation. Part of the program are the activities of the country organizations in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and the United Kingdom.

Kloeckner Centennial Magazine

Milestones 1906 – 2006